Present: James & Cathy Sharkey, Paul Chapman, Buster & Charlotte Keating, Mary Anthony, Brenda Chitty, Alex & Liz McKinnon, Tony Richards, Dave Parry, Ian Critchley, Brian Thompson, Tony & Jan Smith, Pat Moore, Jack Warner, Les Simmons, and Gary Foley.
Apologies: Geoff Rumsey, Peter Greenfield, Jan Faulks, Karl & Morag Campbell, Barry Morgan, John Lewis, Peter Godfrey, and Len Small.
1. President Ian welcomed attendees and called on rum bosun Alex to
2. Lamp swinger Session
President Ian spoke of the Rum Appreciation Society’s recent inaugural visit to the Busselton Legacy Camp. The society members were Alex McKinnon. Ian Critchley, Tony Richards, Paul Chapman and Pat Moore. A wonderful time was had by all, enjoying great fellowship not to mention 5 bottles of pussers rum and 1 bottle of Guatemalan rum over the three-day visit. The group also managed to have a traditional pot mess during their stay. The group enjoyed themselves so much that they have already booked for the first week in September next year. New members are very welcome.
3 Acceptance of Previous Minutes
Moved Buster Keating Seconded Alex McKinnon ‘That the minutes of the meeting held on 26/07/18 be accepted as a true and correct record’ Carried.
3.1 Business arising:
- Divisions 20th Anniversary
President Ian asked Tony Richards as head of the 20th Anniversary committee to take the floor to discuss our Division’s 20th anniversary function. Tony gave a brief outline on where we are with planning; he mentioned several suggestions he investigated such as a cruise from Fremantle or a function in the Margaret River area. Both these proved not suitable to our needs. However the committee visited Miss Maud’s Hotel and restaurant in Pier Street, Perth and were impressed with the facilities on offer. The committee has decided to hold our 20th Anniversary Function at Miss Maud’s on Saturday 1st June 2019. We will have a separate room for our dinner and permission to supply our own rum. Tony will have confirmation of room costs soon. The HMS Ganges Association will supply two bottles of pussers towards our celebration. Please inform Tony of your intentions by phone, email by 28th October 2018.
- President’s Report (Ian Critchley)
4.1 President Ian stated that he wished to have a commemorative item to mark the Division’s 20th anniversary. Ian suggested that we purchase 50 china mugs suitably engraved. Ian asked if the meeting would be in favour of this. The answer was in the affirmative. Gary Foley to arrange.
4.2 President Ian had a phone call from Florrie Ford the Association Certificate Secretary informing him that he had a Special Certificate that he wished to be presented to Audrey Mantle. Alex McKinnon volunteered to make arrangements for a visit to Audrey’s home and make the presentation.
4.3 The Division Management Committee are up for election at the AGM in November, current members have agreed to continue in their present positions for another year. However if any member wishes to be part of the committee please give your details to secretary James. Tony Richards as head of the 20th Anniversary Committee will be join the Management Committee.
- Secretary’s Report (James Sharkey)
- Various information emails.
- South African Division Newsletter “Masthead”.
- Victoria Division Newsletter “Masthead”.
- South Australia Division Newsletter.
- Devonport Division minutes.
- Devonport Division Newsletter.
- Queensland Division Newsletter.
- Letter from Ron Stout, president Rockingham Sub Section NAA acknowledging our donation of $100.00.
- WA Division July Minutes.
- Inward newsletters & minutes to Division members email list.
- Various information and notification items to members.
- The Western Australian Newsletter “The Hoist”.
5.2 Almoners Report
- Alex is arranging a visit to Audrey Mantle.
- President Ian, Tony and myself are planning a visit to Vic Humphries soon.
6. Treasurers Report (Peter Godfrey)
- 6.1 Treasurers report was postponed until the AGM on 29th November
- Other Business
7.1 Ian invited Paul to give details on the Division’s Christmas lunch.
The lunch will be held at the Navy Club Fremantle on Wednesday 12th December at 1200. Cost will be $25.00 subsidised. Paul will send out further details.
- Raffle Draw (Cathy Sharkey)
- Today’s raffle raised $95.00 to our funds.
- Next Gatherings;
- Social sausage sizzle: – Sunday 28th October-1200 at the Rockingham Navy Club.
- Committee Meeting: -Thursday 15th November-1200 at the Fremantle Navy Club.
- Annual General Meeting: – Thursday 22nd November-1200 at the Fremantle Navy Club.