The saddest day in Pussers will be held from 1100 on the 28th July at 7 Draycott Street Alexandra Hills at home of Ken & Linda. Lunch will be provided by Ganges Assoc. Please ring Linda 07 38244349 or 0408 400 707 & advise if attending.
Ian & Joy Thomson are flying down from Rockhampton for the meeting. They are going home by train the next day, also Frank Chadwick will be flying down from Townsville and flying home the next day.
All members please also be aware that this will probably be Charlie Goldsmith’s last social event and deserves to have all of us with him…
Pussers Rum is available at Dan Murphy’s ($69)and if anyone has the urge to invest in one they can join me and Frank (who will be ‘with bottle’) in a corner somewhere…
Patron: Commander Philip Orchard AM AFNI RAN Ret.
MINUTES OF General MEETING
Held 28/03/19 at Fremantle Navy Club
Present: James & Cathy Sharkey, Ian Critchley, Tony Richards, Patrick Moore, Gary Foley, Paul Chapman, Dave Parry, Jack Warner, Mary Anthony, Alex and Liz McKinnon, Buster & Charlotte Keating, Peter Godfrey, Karl and Morag Campbell, Brenda Chitty, Barry Morgan, Les Simmons, Nobby Clark.
Apology: Peter Greenfield, Brian Thompson, Tony & Jan Smith, Geoff & Ann Rumsey.
- Welcome & Opening:
President Ian welcomed attendees, introduced our guest Nobby Clark, and thanked everyone for attending. Ian then called upon Rum Bosun Alex to “Up Spirits”.
- Lamp Swinger Session
- Paul Chapman
Paul continued with part 2 of his entertaining talk on the RN, Then and Now, relating to Rum, Bum and Baccy plus Tattoos Body Art and Piercings.
- Acceptance of Minutes (23/01/19):
- Moved: Alex McKinnon Seconded: Buster Keating “That the minutes of the Annual BBQ Meeting held 23/01/19 be accepted as a true and correct record.” Carried.
3.1 Business arising:
- 20th Anniversary report (Tony Richards).
Tony addressed the meeting and gave details of the progress being made towards what will be an excellent 20th Anniversary Dinner at Miss Mauds Restaurant on 1st June. Special mention was given to restaurant manager Claus for his above and beyond assistance with the preparations for the event. Tony discussed the format for the evening, which will be promulgated nearer the time.
Paul Chapman was asked to give details of the Shep Woolley concert. Paul stated that the concert would be at the Rockingham Navy Club on 25th May and will include a light meal. The cost and start time have yet to be finalised.
- President’s Report
- 20 years potted history
President Ian has put together a brief history of our Division from its conception in 1999 to the present day. Ian approached the office of his local MP and “persuaded” him to put the history paperwork into a booklet format for free. A booklet of our Division’s history with photographs will be available at the Anniversary Dinner.
- Secretary’s Report:
- All inward and outward correspondence and information emails distributed.
- The Division has applied to rejoin the RSLWA’s Unit & Kindred Associations Group.
- Peter Godfrey has volunteered to be the May meeting Lamp Swinger.
Moved: Barry Morgan Seconded: Tony Richards “That the inward correspondence be accepted and the outward endorsed.” Carried.
5.2 Almoners Report
- Secretary James has been in touch with Ken Read who recently celebrated his 91st birthday, Ken’s wife Sonya is celebrating her 91st birthday today.
- James spoke with Una Hughes now living in a care home in Augusta. Peter Hughes is suffering from dementia and Una visits him every day. Fortunately they have two daughters living in the area. I have passed my telephone number on to one of their daughters.
- An email from Bill Hall was read out to the meeting and sad to hear that Bill is in poor health. Mary Anthony will be in touch with Bill and perhaps he can join us at our next BBQ at the Navy Club.
6. Treasurers Report:
- Treasurer Peter read his financial report to March 2019:
- Cash at bank $3252.00
Petty Cash 121.80
Rum Stock 6 bottles 390.00
- Reminder: final day for 20th Anniversary Dinner payment is 30th April.
Moved: Alex McKinnon Seconded: Cathy Sharkey “That the Treasurers report to March be accepted” Carried.
- Raffle Master Cathy conducted the raffle. The lucky winners were Pat Moore, Ian Critchley, James Sharkey, Tony Richards, Les Simmons and Rattler Morgan. The raffle raised $95.00.
- Other Business
- Next Gatherings;
- Social sausage sizzle: Sunday 28th April – 1200 at RNC.
- Committee Meeting: Thursday 16th May – 1200 at FNC.
- General Meeting: Thursday 23rd May– 1200 FNC.
- 20th Anniversary Dinner: 1st June at Miss Mauds.
Hi folks this is a request to help our mate.
Could all our readers please put this web site on their Facebook pages to see if we can help him.
Admiral John Gaunt
orders you to have a great year in 2019,
wishes everyone health and happiness throughout it.
(If you don’t know him look him up)
Chairman: David Lines. Secretary: Harry Harrison 36 Barretts Road Langwarrin South Vic 3911
Telephone Harry 03-9728-3200 Email:email@example.com
MASTHEAD No. 241
Chairman David Lines Opened the meeting and welcomed John and Ann Horner for making the trip from Gisborne. A warm welcome was extended to Bill Agnew and Owen and Carmen Dingle good to have them aboard after a lengthy absence. A warm welcome to all.
A tab was opened at the bar for the ladies to have a drink.
Birthdays November Winfrede Agnew, Winifred Harrison, Mike Bennett, John Hillman and Pat Vary Best wishes to all. Also our congratulations to Owen and Carmel, who celebrated their 71st. wedding anniversary on the 18th. October Bravo Zulu Owen and Carmel.
Apologies John and Maureen Hannant, Winifred Harrison
Sick List. Albie Cunliffe has a virus and is unable to attend. Winifred Harrison is still in hospital.
Treasurers Report Total in account $3,851:62.
Correspondence Bank Statement, WA Hoist, Shotley Buzz 55,Queensland News Letter
UK Association The Association is moving along positively. Members will receive a 2019 endorsement for their membership card in the next gazette. Dues are payable through Brenda Chitty the Australian Financial Administrator for the Association.
We received a comprehensive financial report from the Treasurer Phil Bridge. Members received the report and the general opinion is that it is good to see the Association in good shape in the black and donating to worthy causes.BZ to Phil and the committee.
Last year Treasurer Phil underwent a hip replacement this year Phil informs us that he marched the full distance on Remembrance Day. BZ Phil and the Ganges Company.
We the Victorian Division wish the Chairman Colin Gent the committee and all members a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
General Business 1) The kick off meeting will be held on Sunday 20th. January 2019 At a cost of $36 pp, at the FNMC Catering will be as it was last year.By Cheryl of Gourmet Catering. Those wishing to attend please contact Chairman David or Secretary HarryH with numbers attending, guests are welcome.
2) There was a good attendance for Remembrance Day. The 100th Anniversary of the Armistice declared in 1918.
Our thanks to the President and Committee of the FNMC for organising the occasion.
3) Get Together 2019 Anyone with a location they would like to visit pass it on to David or HarryH
4) Chairman David outlined the reason and methodology of gofunding. In this case for a medication that may prolong Charlie Greensmith’s life. The cost of the medication is $63,000.Which is a lot of money to find. So a gofund site was set up. Individuals may wish to donate to the fund. It was decided as the lunch is all donated the equivalent to the monies that would have been collected be donated to the fund. This was agreed to. Individuals also offered to donate.
.Chairman David Lines Thanked Ann and John Horner for donating the home made Christmas pudding, brandy sauce, shortbreads and mince pies. Thank you John and Ann.
A Big Thank you to Joan and Harry Kimefor preparing and serving the delicious lunch. Joan and and Harry managed to defrost a 6.2kg turkey from when David dropped the turkey off on Monday to a delicious meal on Wednesday. Also Joan and Harry donated and cooked the vegetables donated the “nibbles”, and decorated the tables very festive. Harry Kime and Mark kinder for bar service. Janet and David Lines for supplying the turkey and ham, and all who donated ingredients for lunch.
Chairman Thanked everyone for attending and making it an enjoyable occasion, and declared Up Spirits for a Christmas Tot or drink
The Loyal Toast was made
ChairmanClosed the Meeting
There is no meeting in December so we hope to see you all and any guests at the Kick off Meeting at the FNMC Seven Bells (11:30hrs.)on Sunday 20th.. January 2019
Regards – Harry Harrison
The Chairman’s Christmas message: – To all Victorian members, I thank you for your support throughout 2018 to both myself and Harry Harrison, as we have said before, it is you the members that make this Association, and it is you that have helped us make the decisions we have needed to make throughout the year, and this includes the get together held at Cadell on the Murray. Everybody had a say in this, and I think that those who attended not only from Victoria, but also Australia Wide and N.Z. made this a worthwhile A laugh and a bit of fun go a long way to enjoying yourselves. We look forward to 2019, and planning a getaway later in the year, to wherever YOU decide. It leaves me to say, I hope you All have a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy New Year. See you all on the 20th. January 2019 for lunch at the FNMC. From David and Janet
As me move into the festive season and approach a brand New Year we remember those who CTB during the last year and all those suffering medical problems So when you raise a glass or two remember the good health to all and our absent friends. Harry Harrison Secretary
Our first A.G.M.
Hi fellow Ganges people.
This is to let you know that a memory book of the 20yrs of
H.M.S.GANGES QUEENSLAND DIV.INC.
Has been compiled and is now available.
For financial members it is free (contributions to postage though not compulsory would be appreciated).
Any other ex-members or interested parties there is a small cost to cover printing etc.
Any inquiries please contact Charlie Greensmith or Linda Anderson
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY 2019.
MAY THE COMING YEAR SEE YOU ALL FIT AND HEALTHY,
AND THE FELLOWSHIP OF GANGES REMAIN STRONG.
DON’T FORGET TO RING JACK OR JUDY GARDNER TO CONFIRM YOUR PARTY GOING ON THE 5th DEC
Calling all ex GANGES servicemen, one of our own, Charlie Greensmith, is in need of a hand, please read the link below, it will explain everything.
Thank you all
Scotty (President – Queensland Division)
Present: James & Cathy Sharkey, Paul Chapman, Buster & Charlotte Keating, Mary Anthony, Brenda Chitty, Alex & Liz McKinnon, Tony Richards, Dave Parry, Ian Critchley, Brian Thompson, Tony & Jan Smith, Pat Moore, Jack Warner, Les Simmons, and Gary Foley.
Apologies: Geoff Rumsey, Peter Greenfield, Jan Faulks, Karl & Morag Campbell, Barry Morgan, John Lewis, Peter Godfrey, and Len Small.
1. President Ian welcomed attendees and called on rum bosun Alex to
2. Lamp swinger Session
President Ian spoke of the Rum Appreciation Society’s recent inaugural visit to the Busselton Legacy Camp. The society members were Alex McKinnon. Ian Critchley, Tony Richards, Paul Chapman and Pat Moore. A wonderful time was had by all, enjoying great fellowship not to mention 5 bottles of pussers rum and 1 bottle of Guatemalan rum over the three-day visit. The group also managed to have a traditional pot mess during their stay. The group enjoyed themselves so much that they have already booked for the first week in September next year. New members are very welcome.
3 Acceptance of Previous Minutes
Moved Buster Keating Seconded Alex McKinnon ‘That the minutes of the meeting held on 26/07/18 be accepted as a true and correct record’ Carried.
3.1 Business arising:
- Divisions 20th Anniversary
President Ian asked Tony Richards as head of the 20th Anniversary committee to take the floor to discuss our Division’s 20th anniversary function. Tony gave a brief outline on where we are with planning; he mentioned several suggestions he investigated such as a cruise from Fremantle or a function in the Margaret River area. Both these proved not suitable to our needs. However the committee visited Miss Maud’s Hotel and restaurant in Pier Street, Perth and were impressed with the facilities on offer. The committee has decided to hold our 20th Anniversary Function at Miss Maud’s on Saturday 1st June 2019. We will have a separate room for our dinner and permission to supply our own rum. Tony will have confirmation of room costs soon. The HMS Ganges Association will supply two bottles of pussers towards our celebration. Please inform Tony of your intentions by phone, email by 28th October 2018.
- President’s Report (Ian Critchley)
4.1 President Ian stated that he wished to have a commemorative item to mark the Division’s 20th anniversary. Ian suggested that we purchase 50 china mugs suitably engraved. Ian asked if the meeting would be in favour of this. The answer was in the affirmative. Gary Foley to arrange.
4.2 President Ian had a phone call from Florrie Ford the Association Certificate Secretary informing him that he had a Special Certificate that he wished to be presented to Audrey Mantle. Alex McKinnon volunteered to make arrangements for a visit to Audrey’s home and make the presentation.
4.3 The Division Management Committee are up for election at the AGM in November, current members have agreed to continue in their present positions for another year. However if any member wishes to be part of the committee please give your details to secretary James. Tony Richards as head of the 20th Anniversary Committee will be join the Management Committee.
- Secretary’s Report (James Sharkey)
- Various information emails.
- South African Division Newsletter “Masthead”.
- Victoria Division Newsletter “Masthead”.
- South Australia Division Newsletter.
- Devonport Division minutes.
- Devonport Division Newsletter.
- Queensland Division Newsletter.
- Letter from Ron Stout, president Rockingham Sub Section NAA acknowledging our donation of $100.00.
- WA Division July Minutes.
- Inward newsletters & minutes to Division members email list.
- Various information and notification items to members.
- The Western Australian Newsletter “The Hoist”.
5.2 Almoners Report
- Alex is arranging a visit to Audrey Mantle.
- President Ian, Tony and myself are planning a visit to Vic Humphries soon.
6. Treasurers Report (Peter Godfrey)
- 6.1 Treasurers report was postponed until the AGM on 29th November
- 6.2 Membership Report.
- Other Business
7.1 Ian invited Paul to give details on the Division’s Christmas lunch.
The lunch will be held at the Navy Club Fremantle on Wednesday 12th December at 1200. Cost will be $25.00 subsidised. Paul will send out further details.
- Raffle Draw (Cathy Sharkey)
- Today’s raffle raised $95.00 to our funds.
- Next Gatherings;
- Social sausage sizzle: – Sunday 28th October-1200 at the Rockingham Navy Club.
- Committee Meeting: -Thursday 15th November-1200 at the Fremantle Navy Club.
- Annual General Meeting: – Thursday 22nd November-1200 at the Fremantle Navy Club.